Saturday, April 20, 2013

Strawberries & Cream Oatmeal

According to my mother, when I was a baby I loved oatmeal. At some point I lost track of my senses and as a child, teen, and young adult, I hated the stuff. Then I met and married my husband. While he doesn't love oatmeal, he enjoys it enough to choose to have it for breakfast on occasion.

While trying to breastfeed my second, I struggled with supply. I did many things to try to bring my supply up...including eating oatmeal.

At first I was hesitant. I have a thing about texture in my food and slimy oatmeal just did not do it for me. So, since I needed/wanted to try everything I could to provide breastmilk for my child, I dove in.

In order to avoid the over-sliminess, I added toppings with textures I liked, such as Craisins and walnuts or pecans.

My second is now about to turn one and I'm still enjoying oatmeal. In fact, as I type this I'm siting over a large bowl of my new favorite oatmeal...which I'm enjoying for the second morning in a row.




Ingredients
1 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cups oats
1 heaping cup chopped fresh strawberries
Honey

Directions
Bring the milk, water and vanilla to a boil (NOTE: Make sure to keep an eye on it because as soon as the milk starts to boil it will rise to the top of the pot and overflow.). Reduce immediately to medium heat. Add oats. Allow to cook until finished (5-8 min).

Once the oats are cooked, remove from heat. Top with chopped berries and drizzle with enough honey to sweeten your liking. Mix and enjoy!

Yield: 1 hefty serving or 2 smaller portions

What's something you thought you hated for years but have found a new way to enjoy now?

No comments:

Post a Comment