Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Carrot Cabbage Patties

As an adult I have found a new appreciation for vegetables and enjoy trying not only new vegetables, but new ways to prepare them.  It's been almost two years since I created this recipe and I don't think I've made it since.  I just ran across my notes on what ingredients I used, and thought it would make a good addition to this blog.

NOTE: At the time that I made these my daughter was not yet two and loathed onions.  Okay, at nearly four she still hates them. Anyway, if you want to add onions to this recipe, please do - I think it would be delicious.  To encourage Little Miss to eat them, though, I used onion powder instead.

Photo: thecookingroute.com

Ingredients
2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
1/2-3/4 cup chopped cabbage
1/8 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 egg
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4-1/2 tsp onion powder

Directions
Mix all ingredients together.  Heat frying pan on medium heat.  When the pan is warm, drop mixture by large spoonfuls into pan.  (NOTE: No oil is necessary in the pan.  Adding any will just make the patties greasy.  If your pan tends to stick, spray it with non-stick cooking spray before dropping the mixture in.)

Fry patties until they are golden-dark brown on one side, then flip.  When both sides are golden-dark brown, remove from pan.

Yield: 6 patties

What kind of new concoctions have you created for familiar vegetables?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment